Sunday, August 12, 2007

A summers-full update!

It has been a while since I posted an update. My last post, I believe, was about my future and how God changed my ideas from being a scientist to being an elementary school teacher. My ideas-I heard them called ideas not plans because we should never plan by ourselves but strive after what God plans for us-have changed. It has been an interesting journey and reflection, which I felt needed some recording. What better place than to share it here?! We can praise God's love as a collective.

This summer I have had three valuable and prominent experiences. I am glad God brought me to and through all three, I have learned a lot in each. Experience # 1 includes my summer courses: Sociology and Couple and Family. They were both interesting classes, but it was Sociology which provided me with valuable lessons and learning which I will store away for life. A main contributor to those insights/lessons was my teacher-who was zestful about the subject and greatly involved in our unit discussions. Experience # 2 was my job: factory worker, afternoon shift. I actually did (and do) not like working there, but it was valuable, I will explain. Experience # 3: volunteering. I started this late into the summer (about a month ago), but it is also a big part of my summer. I worked for a week at a day camp. God used these experiences to teach me a lot about myself, my passions, and His plans. I will try to keep this organized. Here it goes.

1.Sociology and science. My idea of becoming a scientist gained momentum in grade 9 and lost that momentum in early University. It wasn't until the end of third year when I re-evaluated that plan. I formulated a number of questions/answers to why I should stick with it. I didn't know why I wanted to change my direction. Was it because I was having a difficult time in science courses? I couldn't give my dreams up because of that, I would just need to persevere and try harder. Was it because I didn't want to be a scientist? I loved/love science, how could I not want to do it? What else would I do if I didn't do science? It's too late to change, I told myself. I formulated a new question this summer. Did I want the prestige? Our society is a science driven one. We crave what we label 'objectivity'. Have you noticed yourself/others thinking a science degree is greater than an arts degree? In the past I have supported that position. Now I see they are not comparable. I felt like I was exercising the opposite side of my brain in my summer arts courses. And maybe I was. Did I think science was a "better" program because it was a more prestigious program? Was I simply conforming to our societies "ideal"; I could do science so I should do it? I think I was. By learning that, I have been empowered.

2.Work and people-God uses the small things. Although, as I mentioned, I dislike working at the factory and dread going to work, there are things about my job that I like. I like my coworkers. I like being able to see my coursework in action: how factory work alienates people from each other (competition instead of collaboration), their products (the quality of their work does not belong to them but their superiors), and from work itself (they are not able to fulfill their potential as it is uncreative and monotonous work). My expression of faith has been subtle at my work place, something I desire more of. I frequently wear my "projet montreal project" shirt. The cross on it tells people something. One day a coworker asked me what my shirt was about. I explained it was from a Christian project I did last year. Later that evening, he passed me a note. On it was written:

-wayofthemaster.com-
Tell me if this don't shock the hell out of ya.
"Him"?
Bet you, that's what you'll say.

I was intrigued. I checked the site that night. The next day, to my disappointment he was not there. He hasn't been there since and that was a month ago, so I think he must have quit. I had so many questions I wanted to ask him. So much conversation I wanted to have. Nonetheless, it was encouraging to me. I know that God has a plan with him, I got to be a small part of that because I wore a shirt. God uses the little things.

3.Volunteering and kids. About a month ago, I was researching volunteer opportunities. I was looking for a place oversees, actually, but then thought "there must be something I can do here in Canada." A moment later, I came across the most perfect place: a centre for Grieving Children (in Barrie, right near me). It was perfect because 1. I love kids, and 2. I was in the middle of writing an assignment on grief! Talk about divine intervention! I contacted the centre expressing interest to help fundraise (as all the other opportunities needed a year long commitment and training), I also attached my resume and a reason why I wanted to volunteer for them- I was an aspiring social worker (more about that later). The next day, I had an interview and an offer to help with their kids camp as they were short for volunteers. I really wanted to do it, there were just a few things to sort out. Everything fit into place so well, I was in awe of our awesome God! First of all, it was a good week for a break in my studies. I was done all my assignments and only had studying to due for my first and second exam in 2 and 3 weeks post volunteering respectively. Plenty of time! Secondly, since I worked in the afternoons and the camp was during the day, I only had to ask for an hour off each day that week. And thirdly, it needed no prior training because I wasn't actually counseling the kids on their loss, but essentially having a week of fun with them! What an experience it was. There were 13 kids; the youngest was 6, the oldest 13. They each had lost a relation. About half lost a parent while the other half lost a sibling, either step or biological. There was also one eight year old boy with high functioning Autism whom I frequently monitored and talked to, so I learned about that. Each day had a theme (a feeling such as sad, fearful, angry, confused, and sappy [sad and happy]) and their art therapy applied to that. The rest of the day we would do something fun like go to Wasaga beach, the Elmvale zoo, the park, a movie (Ratatouille, I liked it and it had good messages in it, even about death that may have helped the kids). It was a busy week; I was working 14 hours days, for 5 days, by Friday I was doing surprisingly well (I thought I would feel like crying over the littlest things) which I thanked God for, He had given me energy and perseverance. I learned a lot, but to go into details would make this post longer than the novel it's already becoming!

4.Another re-working of my future "ideas." Indeed, social work is now in the "idea" set. More specifically, social work with children. My mom is in this field (she is a children's mental health worker) and she thinks this would suit my personality very well. It suites my passions too. I have a quote written on my wall in Guelph (which I will have to relay by memory) which paraphrasingly says: "the place where your passions and talents intersect is the place that God wants you." I didn't do the author justice, but thats the essential thought he was getting across. According to that, social work is where God wants me. I asked my sociology teacher for advise on this by explaining my ideal job and asking her what my ideal education would entail. Her daughter teaches social work at the U of Windsor and she is the director of Children's Aid, so I knew she would have valuable advise. Basically I described oversees development work with orphanages. Which at the moment is feeling like a fairytail, so I am trying to remain grounded and get experience wherever I can. Honestly, I don't even like talking about it because it seems so far away and improbable. It requires an acceptance into a program as well as years of preliminary work before reaching my final ideal goal (which I explained to her in more specificity). Her initial response was to do a program in International Development (which they offer at Guelph) and get some experience oversees. Then she emailed back after talking to her daughter who advised a social work program. She also outlined for me different Canadian Universities focus within their social work programs, ie. integrative, ecological, child welfare etc. So helpful!! And so much more than I expected! So thats the idea now: get into a social work program. I am gung-ho. This year I am switching to a general science so I can finish my degree and take child development and (science elective) psychology classes that I would not be able to do in my Marine and Freshwater Biology major as a basis for my possible second major. Change is hard, but it is good if God initiates it. I know this is such because just before I found the Grieving Children centre, this was my prayer: "God, I have a desire to do social work now, but how will I get into a program, it is competitive and I have no experience and unexceptional grades. Is this really the direction you would like to take me? If it is, please provide me with social work experience and a realistic goal of good grades." The next day, I found their site. The day after I was offered a great opportunity. A month later, I found myself with the potential for a good grade in a class, maybe two. This coming year, I am assured God is with me as I plan to volunteer with Guelph's foster care system and take some interesting and exciting arts courses. What I am about to say is cliche, but its so true: God is good. Amen.

p.s. please pray I will get into a social work program. And for my fellow workers. And for my boldness in sharing with them. And my up coming year which is looking very busy (5 classes, DG, and volunteer work). Thanks, I look forward to updates on how I can pray for each of you also!

9 comments:

Jess Versteeg said...

wow! sooooo good to hear from you rachelle! SO COOL about doing social work overseas.... I will pray for you. did u know that Lydia originally wanted to counsel former child-soldiers in Sierra Leone before she felt God calling her to staff? true story.

I really agree with that quote and it reminds me of that john piper quote that everyone always quotes: 'God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.' I had a similar conversation with my pastor this week. He was over for supper with his wife and he said (in relation to our future after university) 'it's not about what you CAN do, it's about what you can't NOT do!' I thought that was good spontaneous advice. Praise God for the work he's doing in us all!!!

Unknown said...

i really like your pastors advice, Jess. And Rach, so good to hear whats happening with life way over there!
<3

Unknown said...

oops apparently im signed in as my brother, not sure how that works... but Joel=Danae for now, i guess.

weird.

Danae said...

better?

Danae said...

ah. there. now that ive filled the page with useless comments.

Jonathan P said...

Haha.. i was like Wah Rachelle's so popular!

Great to hear, and an interesting post as I'm trying to make a decision myself about the coming school year....

I love yellow said...

hahahaha I was like who the heck is Joel? I don't remember a Joel on project! LOL so good to hear from you Rachelle and it is cool how God can use small things to teach us!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Rachelle!!! That's great. I will definately pray for you.