My pastor closed our service today with a very interesting idea. Essentially, he challenged the congregation to find something to sacrifice during the 40 day period of Lent (starting this Wednesday until Easter). This brought to mind my decision to go on an internet fast (with which some of you more observant folks might have noticed that I have already failed to keep - see Facebook log :P).
This led me to wonder why in the world I don't have more self-control than I do. I get so easily sucked into things that waste my time, and even though I already know that I feel terrible after spending 4 hours watching the Simpsons online, I go and do it again a few days later. [Yes... you read right. 4 hours! 4 FLIPPING hours.....]
So here's the plan. I'm taking the Lent challenge. I'm extending my 30 day fast to the 40 day Lent period (beginning now). The only things that I will check is my email, this blog, and course websites for important announcements. Yeah, I know I said that like 5 days ago (-_-) but I'm going to stick to it this time. The time that I spend on the Internet will instead go towards reading this pile of books that I have (Don't Waste Your Life, Sacred Pathways, If you want to walk on water you have to get out of the Boat).
Ha, and if you happen to notice any sort of facebook activity, lay the rebuke smackdown.... stupid Facebook.
Monday, February 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
good luck with that Jon (i don't mean that in a cyncial/sarcastic way either!). I suggest rerouting your FB notifications to another email that you don't check, so you're less tempted to see what ppl posted on your wall etc. I gave up secular music once in high school which was HARD, & I can't imagine what giving up the net would be like. Godspeed haha
i know what you mean about not sticking with something you've committed to NOT do. i tried cutting down my internet use at the beginning of this year, and it was HARD! took me a few fails until life got too busy and i found other things to use my time with...
but luckily there's this thing called grace and God's just full of it! not that you should puposely fail (which Paul warned about), but that it helps with the whole guilt factor of not measuring up to the standard that you've set for yourself.
Jon for a couple of years now I have given something up for lent. Last year it was coffee...and that was a hard one but it diminished my consumption of it. This year I am going with TV coffee and chocolate. I find the easiest way to keep to it is be accountable with someone. Me and my friend Katia did last year and will again this year. It helps. And I found it taught me a lot in the process.
hey im reading Dont Waste Your Life too, we could be reading buddies!! esp cuz i think some of the stuff is so obvious it makes the little book easy to skim without stopping to really consider/reflect =)
honestly, i always forget when lent is and what it is all about! Thank you jon for mentioning it...
Post a Comment