Friday, April 20, 2007

praise report

I'm done exams!! No, that's a lie, I have one next thursday. But it almost FEELS like i'm done. This semester God has been so good to me, so faithful! I've been praying for a couple things in my life this entire semester: that God would provide a job for me that is close to my house & a place I can share my faith; that God would provide a way for me to go to CM2007; and that something would be done about this pending wedding of my mothers - what I'm not exactly sure... in my heart I would like to see it not happen, but ultimately I want God's will and my mom to live God's best for her life.

The whole job thing was not looking so hot for awhile there. I thought "Hey, wouldn't it be great to work at Ben & Jerry's? The boss is a Christian, he see's the store as an opportunity to minister to people, and he gives his profits to missions. He'd understand why & probably support me going to CM2007/give me the week off!" Or so I thought. I knew he was hiring - cause one of my good friends from c4c had been working their all year. But its been over a month and I haven't received a call. My housemate got a job there too and even she hadn't heard from them all month.

This morning I brought in a resume to another place. This cool store that sells fair trade clothing and jewelry etc, imported from India, Nepal, Thailand etc. You know the kind of place - where you walk in and you get a headache from the insence and you're sure only hippies would shop there? YEAH THERE. I really wanted to work there too haha. The owner said I could come in on Tuesday and she'd test me out.

So then I go home, thinking i should eat something and plan my last DG of the year (it was 11:30 am) and I get a call from Rick @ ben & jerry's.

Guess who's now working at a place close to home, that she can share her faith, that is valued for her beliefs and hired partly because of them, who's job it is to be a servant and love people (and make them fat). You guessed it, obviously its me. Honestly i'm not 100% jumping for joy that I work in the food service industry. I hated Tim Horton's. Especially on the hot days when there'll be lineups of tourists... it'll be really frustrating. But I really believe that God wants me to learn about being a servant and be patient and love ppl when i want to strangle them, and what better place to learn it but there?

And then I went to look up information on a flight to CM2007. It's not looking good! Everything is like $2200-$2500 and those flights were hard to find. There's one that flies from LA that looks promising, I just need to get to LA for cheap. Maybe Angela's west-jet working brother might come in handy. Honestly, I'm not worried about the cost. God has been so faithful to me this year, I'm excited to see Him blow me away with a cheap flight/donors throwing money at me to pay for the flight, because it really isn't about me going, but what I can hopefully bring back for the Queen's ministry.

I hope God has been blessing y'all as much as He has me!

6 comments:

Jenny Tang said...

wow...that's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So you are still considering going!!!???? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok...enough of my type-screaming!!!
And you gotta work at Ben & Jerry. As least poor Lydia doesn't have to lick at the metro pole in order to get a bucket for free (I assume you will get her the ice cream at discounted price or allow her to sample all the ice cream she wants ....)

Jess Versteeg said...

this is a good point!! smart thinking jenny!

I love yellow said...

oh man...working at Ben and Jerry's rocks!!!! And also I am so jealous of CM2007!!! I wish I could go with you!!!

Jonathan P said...

Hehe... Ben and Jerry's. Congrats! I remember how much you were stressing in Mtl cuz you couldn't find a job. It's great to hear that you didn't need to stress this time around.

Haha, when I come to Kingston, I'll have to swing by and get some ice cream ;) I might need some comfort food after my LSAT.....

And girl... why you looking at plane tickets NOW? :P All the Koreans in Toronto go back home in the summer (right around that time too)... so I'm not entirely surprised that you couldn't find anything. Hehe, but love your faith. God will provide :D

Rainbow Choi =) said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ben & Jerry's!!! thats great jess, congrats!!! and think of all the cute boys you'll get to meet ;) did i just say that out loud?? haha..

love ya jess, keep us posted!!

xox!
rainbow =)

Jeremoi said...

Cool story Jess. Have fun making your customers fat this summer, while loving them in the power of the Spirit. I look forward to seeing you in Korea.