Wednesday, April 04, 2007
this is hard.
So I'm at the point where I'm challenging DGLs to lead next year. I'm meeting up with them to make sure they understand what is expected of them so that they can pray about being a DGL. It's hard. Like, I thought it would be ok and wouldn't be too difficult - and in some ways it isn't. But in other ways it's so totally hard. Like, I met with someone today who was like "I really wont take my DG sharing" and basically didn't really explain why. She didn't say it was because she inherently disagreed with it... I dunno. It kind of went downhill from there in some ways. I think I salvaged the convo (or God did) and I did learn some things about how we can improve the ministry and how we communicates its purpose to people, but yeah. It was kind of discouraging. It made me feel like I'm going to just be a giant screw up and wont be able to protect people from the hurt that in some ways is inherent with the ministry. Not everyone can be a DG leader. But we CAN communicate that we value other contributions just as much, so that the ppl who aren't DGLs still feel valued. Yeah.. so definitely a process of learning as I expected. But I definitely feel pretty darn lost. This is a good thing because I have to be so dependent on God. It's just scary because I feel like I have so much potential to hurt a lot of people and do a lot of damage. I have to trust that God is going to fix what I break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Jess...God used you in my life last summer, and if he can do that, he can totally use you in your new role this year! And He is totally going to shape you and put you to the test but at the same time you,re going to learn and grow and other people are going to learn and grow!!! :)You're gonna do great...I mean God's going to do great things through you!
you have the most AMAZING heart for women's ministry, m'dear, and a great understanding of what a mentor/discipleship leader looks like. even though it's hard to have to deal with mis-conceptions of the ministry, i couldn't think of a better person to re-explain that sort of thing than you....keep on keeping on!
Man, I'd say that you're plenty set if you were able to salvage a conversation like that. I'd be like... "What?!? What are you leading a DG for anyway?"
Oh me of little grace.....
But keep on pressing on :) I just got finished listening to an episode of Adventures in Odyssey... and needless to say we never know where we are making an impact. Maybe one of your challenges that you thought didn't go so well actually deeply resonated in someone's heart. After all... YJNK (you just never know.)
thanks guys, i really appreciate the encouragement. Plus, I love adventures in Odyssey. I need to find me a tape player to listen to mine!
Jess... most random comment ever there in your comment about your blog. Mmmm... yeah, you will likely find that there are parts of being Women's Ministry Coordinator that you will enjoy more than others (which sounds really weird coming from me, being a guy... but I can sort of relate, and I will blog about that later.)
Yeah, personally, I do not think that it would be wise to offer someone a role as a DG leader if they don't plan to take any initiative or leadership in evangelism. That's not to say that they wouldn't lead a great small group study, or that they are less spiritual, but it really wouldn't help the movement we're trusting God to build.
Praise God that the conversation was salvaged. Man, very few things worse than being in awkward, downward spirally conversations.
PS. I agree with Hannah. You're being shaped... keep persevering. The Lord is just ironing out a few wrinkles (METAPHOR ONLY!)
lol @ metaphor only.
Post a Comment