Monday, November 13, 2006

Second thoughts (I'm sure the thirds will come soon)

So if some of you remember, I expressed a possible interest in taking a year off between undergrad and (hopefully) law school to do a STEP with C4C in Montreal.

Now I'm having second thoughts.

And I'm sure the third thoughts will be coming as soon as I go to Winter Conference... or maybe earlier.

What I'm wondering specifically, however, is if someone could define and lay out exactly what is meant by the sound mind principle and how someone goes about doing that? I'm all confused, and... well confused. Because circumstances about my summer have suddenly changed too (per my mother finding out that if I don't take my LSATs this summer, I probably won't be able to apply for most law schools next year. Apparently that's more important than going to Korea, and I probably agree.)

Also, we're starting to plan an "I agree with..." here at York. Dunno who we're agreeing with, but chances are it'll be multiple people instead of just one. If you could keep that in your prayers, and I'll keep y'all posted on how that's coming along. (You know, I've noticed that I've started saying y'all in my everyday speech... it's kind of weird.)

4 comments:

I love yellow said...

you should not say y'all...what are you from Texas? And I will be praying for you Jon. Decisions about the future can be difficult...even decisions about a summer can be too. I find it funny how from one day to the next I can be so convinced of something, and then be like NO I don't think that is right anymore. That is why we need God right? I think what I need to remember is to be seeking him through the decision making...and that means ALL the time, so that I know that my decision is not based on a random feeling I had someday. Not to say that God doesn't sometimes bless decisions made on random feelings...but I think you know what I mean.

Rainbow Choi =) said...

the "paul brown letter" talks abotu hte sound mind principle basically as "having the mind of Christ, receiving wisdom and guidance from God moment by moment through faith."... having faith that God will direct us as we seek him through prayer and scripture, and are yielded to him for him to use us maximally for his mission of seeking and saving the lost.

nothing too new, but it really shouldnt be! =)

http://www.godsquad.com/pdfs/paulbrown.pdf

Chara said...

hmm...that's really good. I've never heard it labelled like that before, but that's good! i like.

hmm..good reminder about decision-making too not being based on a feeling. i can DEFINITELY relate to that right now...gah. maybe more to follow once i get my thoughts somewhat sorted out and coherant.

Jess Versteeg said...

i've been thinking about the future a lot. Like... will I join staff or go to grad school?? or will i not join staff and go to grad school?? Do i want to join staff only to be in Montreal... how would I feel if I got placed in, say, winnipeg (i would probably want to die a slow, painful death - haha sorry Steph)? I've semi-concluded that I'm going to look into doing a year with AgapeFrance which is CC4C in France and then go from there. I've always wanted to live in France.

BUT, having said all that... I've really been challenged to stop living in the future. It's kind of crazy how always thinking about my future replaces thoughts I could be having about right now. Or this week.

But I totally know what you mean about your mind being changed @ WC. How do you sift through the propaganda and what is actually God's leading?? I guess it's helpful to know if EVERYONE is that riled up at the end. If perhaps the constant plugs for project etc don't touch everyone, then if it touches you thats a 'sign'... but that would require a sociological study or something haha.

to sum up: can't help you there. but Lydia is good at summing up the Sound Mind principle as I recall.