If you don't get my title... scroll down to Jeremy's and put it together :P
I think I've finally come to the point in my life where I've decided to accept that the fact that my singleness has a purpose and I will do God's will in this particular stage of my life, while still keeping my eyes open to eventual women that I would be willing to get old and wrinkly with (ha... that was an idea that came to mind earlier. Not particularly romantic for most, but amazingly so for me :P)
It's been a while since I've posted and lots have happened since then. I'm just sitting here in a bit of downtime between intercampus ministry evangelism training, of which I'm leading (scary....). I've been placed as the evangelism coordinator for the I Agree with campaign that we are doing here at York. In breaking from MacGuelphErloo's style, we decided to have four people representing the campaign. The website is www.doyouagreewiththem.com (nothing's up yet, but it should be going up within the next week). If you could pray for Cheryl, Rainier, John, and Kyle, that would be awesome. Also pray for the students at York that the LORD would prepare hearts to hear the Gospel message that will be presented to them.
There is one other thing that has been niggling at the back of my mind these past few weeks. I've recently been reading a book called Tactics by Fred Stoeker, the author of Every Man's Battle and Every Young Man's Battle and something that he keeps on talking about has convicted me recently to ask for forgiveness from some of you. He talks about how when Christian men try and live a life of purity by being more selective about the movies that they watch, they are often derided, not by non-Christians but by fellow Christians. I was thinking to myself, "man what kind of fools do that? I don't know anyone that does that." But then I stopped. And I thought about what Hannah and Brad said about feeling uncomfortable about watching Bon Cop, Bad Cop. Or what Jeremy and Brad said about watching James Bond movies. And I guess I must confess that I had thoughts along the lines of "Aw come one it's just a movie." Recent events have made me rethink such lines of thinking and I just want to express the privilege that I have to have friends such as you guys who can make such lines of thinking more concrete and convicting. I've decided to make a stronger commitment to guard my eyes and mind in terms of what I let in, and though it's going slow, it's something that I might not have thought of as much if I hadn't had the events of this past year to think about.
On a slightly lighter note, did you ever notice how amazing the book of Isaiah is in terms of describing the splendour, power, majesty, and love of God? I just realized last night. It was amazing.
On an even lighter note, we FINALLY got some snow! There's probably about 5 centimeters on the ground and it keeps on coming. SO happy (even though it takes 20-30 minutes longer to get to school now.)
Well, hope all is going well with y'all. It's always good to hear updates from y'all (I mean snow storms in Saskatoon and MDA updates in Manitoba, as mundane as those may be objectively, are fun to read about when y'all post em up cuz they have to do with you. No jokes.)
Hope all is going well with everyone.
Monday, January 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I like that titles follow each other. I also like that we all make an effort to keep updated on each other's lives. Personally I think that it is when you become content with your singleness that God throws you a curve ball...so look out. Hah! I say that because that is the way it happened for me...even though I am the ultimate in cool, and I realize that I set most trends, it may not be true for this one.
Also, I find it interesting what you said about being careful about what you watch and listen to etc.. I find it interesting because it was something I was really challenged with this summer (among other things). I watched a lot of junk (especially as far as movies go)and it's something that I am still working on (that is why I found it funny that you mentioned me in your post). I realize that garbage in, garbage out I guess...and yeah I have gotten a lot better at it. Still though, I have a ways to go :)
word on the title too. I realized in the last week that no matter how i denied it - I really was living as if the whole point of life was to get married. Talk about pressure. I didn't realize that until God somehow got me out of it. It's so freeing to realize and finally comprehend that there is SO MUCH MORE TO LIFE and I'm made for so much more. Now the concept of dating seems like it's going to tie me down. It wont though once I find someone who's going the same direction as me. How freeing.
Lol... here is a graph representing the "serious" factor of the content in Jon's entry as a function of time...
... (sigh)... aww, it's not working... oh well... I'm sure you would've found it amusing.
I'm glad to hear that you've been challenged with the whole 'watch what you take in' paradigm. I remember challenging the guys in my sunday school class with these verses from Matthew 12:34-36. I think I related it more to music, and song lyrics as a reflection of the artists hearts, but still... from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks - so we gotta watch what we store up there.
yeah, i can relate jon. Last semester I spent a lot of time watching tv with my housemates. now i'm one whos never really watched to much tv and i would make a person mad cause i just make fun of everything (the cheesy shows) but i found that words that normally would have been shocking or shows that are so stupidly ridiculous stopped having any affect on me. i became desensitized..like i found myself laughing at stuff then later being concerned and asking myself why i would find that funny?, to give an example.
i cut back on tv. :S lol
thats awesome tho you are growing in that area. its so important, we're going against such an immense current.
woah...so much to comment on.
word.
that should sum it all up cuz i'm too sleepy to write anymore...lo siento.
Post a Comment