Wake up around roughly 7:30 or 8-ish and walk to the other cottage (we have 2 cottages, but one is just for sleeping and is amusingly unlevel... we wonder sometimes if we will come up one spring and find it much closer to the shoreline). I would grab my Bibles (NIV, the french "heretical" bible, and two printed sheets of the ESV) and proceeded to study 1 Corinthians inductively (somewhat anyways). So far I've worked through the first two chapters - nothing life changing, but still really good times of deep pondering and reflection into what God is saying through Paul. Very theological so far, so finding meaningful application has been somewhat lacking. Anyway, that would usually carry me through to about 9-ish, afterwhich I would grab a bite to eat of something... usually nice and sugary - a bowl of fruit loops or some chelsea bun... mmm...(me chillin on the air mattress with my little cousins... and my dog, Riley... who actually didn't bark too much)
The rest of the day would consist of some or all of the following: swimming in our not-so-crystal-clear-and-clean lake, lying on inflatable air-mattresses (either on the dock or in the lake itself), continuing a 4-day marathon of stock ticker (an excellent game that rather inaccurately models the stock market), reading a few chapters from one of 3 books: Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life, Bill Bright's Holy Spirit: The Key to Supernatural Living, and A Treasury of A. W. Tozer. I think I've found Bill Bright's book most applicable and interesting. Everything he says is very simple and biblically-based, and very practical, which impresses me. He basically emphasizes the same few points OVER AND OVER AGAIN - which is really good actually. More or less he stresses that being filled with the Spirit, and living by faith in the promises God has made in his word, is the key to living supernaturally. Needless to say, I've been thinking about these two ideas a lot lately, as well as meditating on some relevant passges of scripture (Galatians 5:13-26 and Romans 8:1-17). I really like going back to these passages and "chewing" on them a bit more. Everyone seems to have their own interpretations of what God is talking about, but they never seem to nail it down in a manner that satisfies my spirit and intellect. I may never be able to do so either, but I still like meditating on them. I've really enjoyed Tozer's stuff as well - man, God sure gave him a boldness to speak an unpopular message. He really seemed to be a man who followed Paul's advice to pay close attention to his doctrine.Tuesday, went out for a game of golf with my dad and aunt... once a year is enough for me, although about 1 in every 3 shots was fairly satisfying (which means the ball went moderately straight and had a moderate amount of loft, as opposed to bee-lining along the ground into the woods... lol). Thursday, played some tennis with my dad, aunt and sister.... lots of fun, especially because my aunt is better than us all, which makes for a good challenge!
There were a few evenings when I laid out on the dock (on the air mattress of course) and gazed up at the milky way and the vast collection of starry host. I have to admit, it was a much better view than from the roof of Chara's van, although that was largely due to the absence of light pollution on the horizon. Star-gazing remains one of my most treasured parts of life at the cottage.
All in all, i had a really nice week free from distractions that surround me at home... whenever i got bored, i was challenged to go pray or meditate, or just be still and love God. I miss it already, now that i'm back at home and have been kept busy most of the morning cleaning my room (which was a disaster) and most of the afternoon, getting myself up-to-date on all the happenings in your lives. I'm really glad to be blogging with you guys, and appreciative of all the random excerpts from your lives that you've posted... they've been refreshing and amusing. We have a real opportunity to hold one another accountable to investing our lives in pursuit of eternal treasures, namely, knowing Christ and making Him known. I am so grateful for a summer that found a balance between ministry and times of hanging out with you guys... learning and serving with other Christians is such a vital expression of fellowship, and a necessary complement to those times of "hanging out"... to me, those hanging out times are so much more meaningful because of the experiences we share in serving and ministering together, as well as studying God's word and learning together. I guess what I'm trying to express is that our friendships and relationships with one another as Christians are deepened and the bond of love strengthened when Christ is the focal point of our times together - in "ministry" as well as in "hanging out"...
Time to start typing out a newsletter to send to supporters. Look forward to hearing more updates from you all. I've been blessed so much already.
jeremoi

6 comments:
nice to hear from you again. I loved this line: "just be still and love God." That made me smile!
also: i forgot what else I was going to say. Oh right... that reminds me that I need to do my letter too... d'oh (haha i'm watching the simpsons for the first time in ages and i forgot hooow funny Homer is...)
j~dawg!! good to hear from you (much more complete than your family's rendition of the week: horse-opoly, relaxing, tennis, and more re-hashing of the storm that went through a few weeks back. lol.)
merci for all your jeremoi wisdom...always appreciated and very-well said! especially pin-pointing how 'doing ministry' together for 3 months is a key ingrediant in the strength of our relationships now and possibly why we (or at least the girls) went all emo.
and amen for accountability! i'm excited to see how our personal and campus ministries are gunna explode this year, and the cool part is that each one of us can help support, pray, challenge, and encourage each other as it happens....we still get to be a part of ministring alongside and to each other all across the country:)
aww Mr Jboyd, how amazingly nice to hear from you...we missed you on here. I think I need some time to be still and listen to God too...
oh and stock ticker is like the best game EVER!!!! I have definetly played it before
Hmm... being still and loving God eh. I must confess that I haven't done that in a while. Life has been too full of reading, work, and video games (I know i know.. but it's not as bad as before I came to Montreal :P)
Salut Monsieur Jeremoi!!!! Merci encore for letting me couper votre cheveux!!! (I will finish doing it when we meet again..so meanwhile, leave it!) Oh...can you ask heather to send me the picture that she took of me and her? Merci :0)
Post a Comment