And no I don't mean Martha Stewart.
I was sitting in the religious chapel at York doing my part of the prayer chain when something came to mind. What with Jess's post about burning out, my consistent habit OF burning out, and remembering Chara's amazing ability to stay busy and not completely kill herself (on the outside anyway) I thought of a Bible study on Cru.comm called Martha, Martha. If you don't know what this, I will explain in a moment.
Turn to Luke 10:38-42 and read that. You may then understand what I mean by "us Marthas." If you still don't get it, replace the word Martha with the word Doer, and you might THEN get it.
Being an incredibly high D, I have this tendency to think that the only way that I'm involved in something is if I'm being incredibly busy DOING something (thus being a high D :P) in the ministry (or whatever). It's a huge weakness of mine, because I then tend to place more importance on the actual task of getting things done and running smoothly then the true purpose behind why the task is being performed in the first place. I am definately not one of those big picture D's but a small picture D. But whenever I start thinking like this, something will either gently prod me or give me firm back handed smack across the face (i.e. the reminder of the Martha, Martha study or burnout) saying hey wake up and smell the roses buddy.
So as we all begin a hectic time of ministry on our respective campuses, I just want to remind y'all that Jesus rebuked Martha by telling her Mary has chosen what is better. Don't NOT be yourself (remember I'm a seriously task oriented person myself) but at the same time, remember why we're doing this as opposed to getting all wrapped up in the how.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
great reminder, jon. I'm a hardcore Martha too most of the time (despite my score of 2 as a "D"). I really admire ppl who are content being Mary (ie: sitting at the feet of Jesus) instead of being ministry busy-bodies.
ahaha...not kill myself, eh? i'm pretty good at putting on the "i've-got-it-all-together" mask, but i was also CRAZY challenged with John 15 this entire year (especially this summer...the vine and the branches passage)and that's helped a LOT! but i'm glad my crazyness/busyness this summer didn't negatively affect you...that's a really big relief! seriously.
haha Jon...Chara is just as insane as the rest of us. :) No offence but you know it's true Chara...you also know I love you!!!
Anyways, what a great reminder, I am already looking at my schedule and how full it is with mettings and church stuff...and school!!!
Post a Comment