I found a beautiful conservation area on the shore of Lake Ontario, well-away from the stress of campus and the noise of the city. It's amazing how soothing crashing waves can be to an anxious mind or watching a rainstorm come in over the waters, knowing full well you're in for a HUGE soaking, but not really caring. Just sitting still and loving God (as jeremoi so elequently put it a while back). Why can't life always be that way? Maybe it's cuz we don't let it....or cuz we don't live near the ocean. But you get what i mean...
So my time away got ambushed by a massive rainstorm, so i headed back to my car with hair dripping and shoes sloshing, a little bit grr-ish cuz my quiet time had been cut short by God's Creation...kinda ironic i guess. So i was like "ok God...what's the deal?". A minute later, the most beautiful rainbow emerged in the sky, starting from the horizon and working its way up into the heavens.
"When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth." (Gen. 9:16)
Ok, God. I get the point. You are faithful and you keep your promises. Always.
I drove to Chapters instead as an alternative to the wilderness to do some reading, but it just didn't seem like the right place to be. So i left the mixed aroma of Starbucks coffee and new books behind, got into my car, and lo-and-behold, another rainbow connecting heaven and earth on the horizon. I stared at it for a while, then pulled back onto the road. Before long, I realized where the rainbow was pointing: straight into the heart of Queen's campus.

"Then God said, 'I am giving you a sign of my convenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my convenant with you and all the earth'" (Gen. 9: 12-13)
All. Including Queen's. Including York. Including UBC. Including Montreal. Including Mongolia. Including Africa. Including "us". Including "them".
God is just so cool sometimes!
Take the time to get away...even if it's just for an hour for a hike in the rain and a trip to Chapters. God shows you some pretty unreal stuff if you let Him!
{that's a picture i took in St. Lucia last summer of a rainbow pouring into the Carribean ocean}
4 comments:
Thanks Chara. God is just so cool if u take the time to notice hey. i sure havent taken alot of time lately. i feel like i am wasting my days away lately... living for the weekend, and planning to catch up, but never actually having time to. but thats not the way God wants it, and if i took some time here and there to actually reflect or be still, i might realize that. by the way that is a GORGEOUS picture!
Mmm... wise words Chara. That's awesome that you were able to get away like that. I plan on using some of my free time at summit to UNcrash and burn, so that y'all DON'T see a smooshed and burning Jon at summit (see brad's blog for that reference).
And I totally know what you mean Danae... I totally know what you mean.
awww... thanks Chara.
Wow. That was a good post Chara, thank you.
Post a Comment