Wednesday, September 06, 2006

School....

Hey hey everybody!
So, today was the first day of school. You already saw the Jenny Tang version, now it's time to see my version.
Chinese ensemble...that was actually the least exciting part of the day, which is odd since it is usually the most exciting part of Tuesday or Thursday any other time of the year. There were so many people waiting for auditions today...usually on the first day of school, us ensemble veterans just sit around and have fun with various instruments. Today, none of the other ensemble oldies were there, plus I had another class to go to, so I just escorted Jenny to the ethnomusicology studio, talked a bit about class schedules with the TA, then left.
The class that I had was RGLA (Religion, Literature, and the Arts) 371, a seminar in religion and literature. As of now, I'm not actually registered in the class...there are 3 of us (myself, my Honours in English lit. friend Aaron--the guy who lent me the immensely useful super cool giant pot/pan that I had in Montreal, and another lady who is a "mature student" taking the class out of interest's sake) who are on a waiting list to get in since it is full. It really does seem like it would be an interesting class though. I have been considering for a while the possibility of minoring in RGLA, and so if I do actually decide to do that, I may be able to get forced into the class since it is a graduation requirement. Anyways, I told the prof that I'm majoring in French and minoring in Canadian Studies, and so he has decided that I would be useful to have in the class and he will try to get me in, heh. We'll be watching Jesus of Montreal in class next week and I believe that he believes that I will be able to give some insight into the social history of Quebec and its attitudes towards religion. We'll see about that. I really do like the class though...I really hope I can get in. I already have a vague idea for my presentation and essay...something to do with the changing views of religion in Quebec society, and how they are manifested in the literature and the arts that come from that society. I already wrote a similar paper touching on the history of Quebec pre-Quiet Revolution and how it affected the manifesto of a group of artists in the '40s and '50s for my art history class last year...so it'd be really neat if I could pretend that the random assortment of courses that I've taken over the years are somewhat related and relevant to people other than myself. Yes.
Anyways, after class, Aaron and I went over to help out at the C4C booth at Imagine UBC (the largest annual first-year orientation event in Canada!) where Jenny, Rainbow, and others were handing out laundry bags stuffed with RLKs, spiffy green highlighters, and invitations to our Thursday afternoon weekly meetings in exchange for completed SIQs. [*begin unrelated side-ramble* Our weekly meetings, by the way, are now called "Revolution." I tried to push "Current," you can see it documented on our UBC C4C blog, but alas, it went down without even a vote. But it's cool...John Sundara has come up with a snazzy design for posters, and I will be adapting that design for our t-shirts. I am happy with it. *end unrelated side-ramble*] I think today we handed out more kits than we have in previous years, so that is really quite exciting. We also had many people leave their contact information on the SIQs and many were interested in joining a Bible study. It's really encouraging to see so many students interested in our ministry...I pray that we will be able to hang on to these first years and really build into them so that we will have future generations of C4C leaders on campus. We've got our first Revolution meeting of the year coming up in 2 days, followed by our first social of the year later that same evening. Please pray that we would attract many people to come. Pray also for us and those whom we contact as we do the follow-up from this afternoon's Imagine outreach.
And now it's bedtime for me. Actually it was bedtime about two hours ago. I've got an 8:30 class tomorrow morning...boo....

3 comments:

Jonathan P said...

Man... so eventful.

Glad to hear that y'all are getting them contacts. We're stoked here at York about what's going to happen this year.

Jess Versteeg said...

i'm so jealous of your meeting name. Ours is "Friday night on the Rock" so lame. and it's only that because thats what it's always been. DOWN WITH TRADITION! well, tradition is good sometimes... if there's a good reason it's staying that way.

Glad thigns are going well!

I love yellow said...

Jess that name is not so bad seriously...our is called Le Célébrons...I like it, and it is the best because obviously it is french. We always laugh at Sherbrooke because their weekly meeting is called réunion hebdomadaire which means weekly meeting...I mean at least yours has a name other then weekly meeting!